Friday, September 4, 2009

5 reasons why Vegemite is BETTER than Marmite

Now I know its so commonly Australian to LOVE Vegemite, but I do. And its so commonly Australian to MISS Vegemite when your overseas, but I do. And I know every other country in the world is confused about why this is, but it just is, so shhh.

Now there are always methods to deal with this common problem: ship tons of it over from Aus, guilt friends onto shipping tons of it from Aus, OR you could try one of the less superior substitutes, Bovril, Promite or Marmite. I am trying the latter.

Please don't get me wrong, I actually like Marmite, but
Vegemite is better, and here is why:

  1. Marmite is runny. Not like liquid runny, more like honey runny. Making my sandwiches in the morning I have to be constantly vigilant that a stray piece of Marmite hasn't found its way on to my freshly ironed WHITE shirt. Vegemite on the other hand is more solid, like smooth peanut butter, you know where it is and where its going!
  2. Vegemite works better with Avocado than Marmite. The texture of a ripe Avo mixes with Marmite, while even the most ripe Avo will never mix with Vegemite, keeping the delicious divide known commonly as Crazy Toast.
  3. Its an undisputed fact that Marmite is sweeter than Vegemite. This means that if you are at the end of
    the month and all you can afford is Marmite and toast for dinner, technically its a dessert, but Vegemite on toast is dinner.
  4. Vegemite is the rebel. It has been banned in some US states cus its so awesome. Marmite's awesomeness only got it banned in some Welsh schools....
  5. It's better for you. Vegemite is described on Wikipedia as "one of the world’s richest known sources of B vitamins, specifically thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and folic acid", however the same website describes Marmite as having "useful quantities" of the same... Well, I have useful quantities of money, but I'm not rich!
Finally, and most importantly, Vegemite has stirred in me the desire to actually spend time scouring the Internet researching this stuff! Something I must admit I'm not proud of! So there it is, I have given in to the most common and undignified type of nostalgia... Vegemite Withdrawal.

1 comment: